Monday, February 23, 2015

Filling the day with a nearly three month old


I've been trying to figure out how to fill the day with a baby who cannot do too much yet. I watch entirely too much television, and becoming aware of this fact has made me stop watching so much! He will sometimes turn his head to watch it, too...and that's when I get up and head into the other room. 
However, there is only so much tummy time that you can do in a day! 

So I've been doing research to figure out what babies need at this age. It is very important that you read to your baby (obviously), but too much reading and it is apparent that your baby will become bored. Of course, you should be doing tummy time, and the amount of time should increase every month. I also think that after tummy time you should put your baby on their back on an activity mat so they can look at all the different hanging toys. At three months, your baby should be swatting and grasping toys, so this encourages them to do so.

I enjoy putting Micah in his boppy and talking to him without any distractions. He is very vocal and will respond to me very excitedly. I love his smiles, giggles, and yells! Also while he is in the boppy, I put music on for him and sing. Although I have the worst voice on earth, he doesn't seem to notice. 

I do put him in his swing when I am cooking, or eating. When I'm cleaning I have started to wear him, and I like to talk to him about what we are doing...that is until he falls asleep! 
I take at least one walk a day with him. That is another way to fill the day. It seems like he really enjoys the stroller. While I walk with him, I try to tell him what I'm seeing. He usually hears me telling our poor Corgi, George, no. He doesn't make walking easy, that's for sure!

Anyway, I'm training for a half marathon, and Micah goes on runs with me, too! I don't like to take him further than four miles because it is a lot more work! But I think I will be a better runner if I try! 

Yesterday Steph and I did five treadmill miles, and it is much harder running on a treadmill than running outside! I don't think I have ever ran that far on the treadmill before.

This month Micah giggled for the first time, and he rolls over during tummy time. He is 11 weeks and 6 days! I'm pretty proud. He rolled over two times in a row, so it wasn't a fluke! 
This is right after he rolled over:
I have joined a MOM's club here in Albuquerque, there are a few different chapters, depending on where you live. This will be a great way to meet moms, and to get out and enjoy the city.

Micah and I also run a lot of errands together, and go hang out with a lot of our friends, and sometimes family. Micah and I also meet Daddy for lunch once a week. Going out early on also helps him get used to the carseat, and people!

So spend your day talking with, wearing, walking with, running with, playing with, laughing with, reading with, going out with, and of course, loving your baby!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment