Thursday, January 30, 2014

I kicked this week's booty...but not food-wise!

     Okay, so I have not completed my training for the week yet, but I just want to say that I am pretty pumped up and ready to rock this training program. Again, I am using the Hal Higdon Intermediate training program. For more information, or to look at the different Higdon training plans, please visit: 
Hal Higdon rocks my socks! <<<Click here
     Anyway, the strange thing about this running program is that it skips both interval and tempo training. I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing, but I loved interval training throughout both of my half marathons. I think I am going to mix it in once a week, or even every other week instead of a short run. I think it would be more effective if I did it every week though, if I want to get faster...but I have discovered something very obvious this week:
If I want to race faster, I have to become uncomfortable in my training! Go figure. Who would have thought!? :) And so, for the past few days these were my average paces for each of my runs:
3 mile run: 7:52 min/mi
5 mile run: 8:15 min/mi
3 mile run: 8:15 min/mi



I am already getting a little faster, and I am getting to be somewhat consistent. I think I was at a 7:59 min/mi average a couple of different runs last week, but if I can see a seven something once each week, I would be absolutely fine with that.

I am trying to eat healthier, but that has been the constant battle my whole life. I probably do not eat as bad as most people, but I expect more from myself for some reason, although I have never been the perfect eater. I think the problem is my self-control (I have none), and I get disappointed in myself if I eat too many sweets, or large portions.

Being a teacher is hard I have realized when it comes to having to turn away sweets. When any student has a birthday, they bring treats and they are usually HOMEMADE. I know, the hardest treats in the world to resist. It isn't just that my students bring treats, but all of the students in our building come around and offer goodies for their birthdays. So in a year, you would have to turn down a great many treats! Don't get me wrong, I do turn down some of them, but not all. Sometimes I just take the treat, and once they leave I  take a bite and throw the rest in the trash...that should count for something, right?

It is also a constant struggle when the people you live with eat differently than you do. There are temptations everywhere, and with very little self-control...I'm sunk! 

Anyway, I would like to eat better. I just want to be HEALTHIER. I want to establish BETTER eating habits. I see a new goal for February...

We have a five miler on Saturday, and eight miles on Sunday! Looking forward to it. 

“You only ever grow as a human being if you’re outside your comfort zone.” -Percy Cerutty







<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<One of my favorite running songs!

No comments:

Post a Comment